Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mashed Potatoes From Heaven

No - you silly friend - this is not a post for the world's best mashed potato recipe! I just read something really funny in the Message version of the Bible. Here it is:

Exodus 16:13-15 "That evening quail flew in and covered the camp and in the morning there was a layer of dew all over the camp. When the layer of dew had lifted, there on the wilderness ground was a fine flaky something, fine as frost on the ground. The Israelites took one look and said to one another, man-hu (what is it?). They had no idea what it was."

I can picture this so clearly in my head and it makes me laugh! Can you just imagine them looking at one another, shrugging their shoulders and asking, "what is this stuff? How do we prepare it? How do we eat it? Is this what God had in mind?"

I'd tell them to just add water and stir. God gave them instant mashed potatoes.

A fine flaky something!

7 comments:

TheLab said...

You're a fine flaky something, E!

Knocker Boys said...

I really thought that you were going to tell me about a mashed potatoes recipe.

emily said...

You girls are funny! And K.B. - my blog would not be the blog to get recipes off of - I refer you to Kirsten's yummy blog!

If God was giving manna from heaven today, I'd request Smities soft pretzles. At the very least, good old Grace Brethren communion bread. That stuff is GOOD.

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

I'll never look at flaky stuff the same. : )

emily said...

Sounds like dandruff doesn't it?

TheLab said...

Ha ha ha! What is it with Smitties Soft Pretzels!? I think my Dad actually arranged to leave his last job and sign on with his current company, moving him back to York JUST SO HE COULD BE NEAR SMITTIES SOFT PRETZELS.

Man, I hate those things!

Sorry. I'm all alone in that, I know.

emily said...

OH MY GOSH LESLIE (and I am so tempted to call you Lezlie right now) - You HATE Smities Soft Pretzles? I don't think I can be friends with you any more.

I need time. I've got to blow off steam. I thought we were kindred spirits.

I will forgive you if you never mention Smities Soft Pretzles again. Or soft pretzles in general. Because soft pretzles have always been my favorite food, and Smities has always been THE BEST. I just don't understand how you can hate them. You must hate bread. That's the only explanation. You hate carbohydrates.