Thursday, May 6, 2010

Crazy Times!

Wow. What a week!

I had to keep Ethan home from school on Monday (so I got to call off of work!) to take him to the doctor's. He had this annoying constant cough which was keeping us up at night - ear plugs couldn't even drown out the sound. Nothing was working - Vicks Vapor rub worked the 1st couple of nights, but only partially. Cough suppressants didn't work wonders, neither did honey. I wanted to strangle the kid. (Yeah, I'm not the most affectionate mother). The doctor thinks it's allergy related and he could have a touch of asthma as the cherry on top of everything. He's on his 4th night of Singulair and it has helped drastically. We now can hear the normal house night sounds. Only my thoughts keep me up at night.

Thoughts and worry about work. It's been getting VERY busy in the office. Our one doctor is "no longer with us", and no - he didn't die. All his patients are worked into the other two doctors schedules, making for very busy days. And on top of that, the girl who is training me is out for an unexpected reason. So now we're down a doctor, down a nurse, and down a receptionist. I was anxious last night about working today. It was a busy day - thank goodness for the kindness of the other two nurses! I pulled into my driveway, (around 6:20ish) this evening and thanked God for getting me through the day! And through the week.

Tomorrow will be a full day, and thank goodness I have Fridays off. I will be packing for our weekend camping trip, dropping our dog off at my mom's, going to the grocery store and wine shop (can't beat a glass of wine while sitting around a campfire!), and then to Noel's play. After her play we will take her home, wait for Ethan to come home on the bus, then meet Jason's sister and brother-in-law + kids, where will travel over to Lancaster together to go camping. I hope it doesn't rain much on Saturday, however, I really love it when it rains on the canvas of our pop-up (as long as we don't spring a leak).

I'm looking at a load of the dreaded white laundry that needs to be folded, both bathrooms have not been clean for a few weeks, the kids bedrooms (I think they're still bedrooms - I can't see the beds anymore!) are a disaster, the kitchen smells of my failed attempt at this evening's supper, the living room needs picked up, there's still plenty more laundry to do, although Jason's been busy with working on that this afternoon, and I need to change the hummingbird's sugar water as well. (Wow, what a great run-on sentence!)

I have 3 books I borrowed from the library this week. I can't wait to finish the one while camping this weekend. I'm just going to sit. That's what we do when we camp. We sit. Isn't that lovely?

And to all my mother friends, and to my very own wonderful mother - HAVE A HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

8 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

WOW...what a week! We all came down with that dreaded coughing bug this spring (even Mommy), and I can't believe nobody smothered anybody else with a pillow:) Your work weeks sounds CRAZY. My only consolation for working at such a crazy pace is that I can work every other day. How do you do it?? I hope things settle down soon for ya and you get more than ONE glass of wine this weekend! Happy Mother's DAy to you, too:)

emily said...

Thanks Wuxi! I am soooo glad I have Fridays off - otherwise I'd cry! I really do enjoy what I do - it's just scary sometimes because I have don't know what I'm doing a lot of the time - and their theory on training me is "trial by fire" - which means I make a lot of mistakes, which is good because I learn best through making mistakes and humiliation! But it can be very uncomfortable at times! Things are getting less scary though - I'm starting to understand some things - but when days are chaotic and busy, my anxiety level is raised a bit because the oppertunity to make a mistake is greater. could I kill anyone - I doubt it. could I make the patient very uncomfortable - most definately. could I make I mistake in writing up a script? Of course. And that scares me. Could I make my co-workers day more complicated? I do that everyday, poor guys!

I hope you guys are feeling better soon! Have a wonderful weekend Wuxi!

Knocker Boys said...

Have fun camping! As I read your post, I was thinking that we need to go away for weekends more often... It's nice not to feel like "I should be doing something productive around here." And I haven't read a novel since January! And I only read in January because Kim took me to Florida for a few days.

Have a great weekend. Happy Mother's Day!

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

Enjoy that (1) glass of wine with a dozen s'mores!
Happy Mother's Day!

PS....don't worry about the laundry pile- I gave up on that years ago.

TheLab said...

Have I ever mentioned how much I love your posts? They make me feel better, Em.

My house is a disaster. More than usual. Thanks for admitting yours is in a bit of disarray, too.

I hope you guys all have a safe and fun time camping!

L

emily said...

Thanks guys!

And K.B. ~ I love to camp because it's kind of cheap, so we can go often, it gets us out of our house so the house stuff isn't tempting us and stressing us out and we choose not to have a TV (most times) or cell phones (most times) or computers (never brought one). It's just us and whoever else goes - the outside world be damned. We LOVE it!

S'mores - oh man! I forgot to get the chocolate and gramham crackers! I just came back from the store and realized I forgot to stop at the wine shop too. I'm not on a good roll!

Leslie - I should take a picture of Noel's room for you - you'd feel much better than!

Wuxi Mommy said...

Em,I love the "trial by error" learning method myself. It's especially interesting in our field:) I remember changing a dressing on a little toe that was completely black from gangrene when I first started as a nurse. As I was trying to re-wrap the toe, it quite literally fell off. Right there on the patient's bed! Funny thing is that the patient never even noticed. He went right on talking to me while I stood there trying to act like everything was fine. Turns out that I didn't do anything wrong, and the surgeon just laughed and said "we thought that might happen". Ummmmm, a little heads up on that would have been nice?! Crazy stuff like that gives us great stories!

Oh, and I wanted to clarify that we had that dreaded cough about a month ago......and we somehow survived to tell about it:)

emily said...

OH MY GOODNESS! THE TOE FELL OFF!!