Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why I Love My Job

Yes, my job can be hectic, stressful, and many times I end up feeling completely stupid. However, I still love my job. And who's job isn't at times hectic and stressful? Being a stay-at-home mom sure wasn't easy!

At least with this job, people thank me and smile. I even got a hug today. One time, somebody told me I was pretty. Another time, somebody said I had thick hair (friends, I love it when people think I have thick hair! Because I really don't - just ask Sista D!). I have men flirting with me (this is amusing) and old people telling me their stories. I love to hear their stories. We have druggies looking for narcotic refills, we have people trying to get on disability (who certainly don't need to be on disability), we have the rich people of York, we have some poor ones as well. And everybody has known my doctor for a very long time - like they're the only patient who knows the doctor so well. They come to be entertained by him - you never know what craziness is going to come out of his mouth, or what he'll pull out of his lab coat (today he pulled out a zip-lock bag of hair - one of his patient's).

My doctor is very dramatic at times. He is very opinionated and many times, when he gets on a political rant, I and the patient will get depressed! He tells jokes, bad jokes which I have to hear time after time to each patient. He's flamboyant, he loves to talk, he takes his time.

I love my job. Because it entertains me. Because I get to make people more comfortable. I spoil them a bit, which is easy to do - helping them with their socks and shoes, putting lotion on their feet, smiling at them, listening to them - this is all it takes! I love my job because the patients are so entertaining. Because the doctor is so entertaining. And because the people I work with are so fun. I get to learn about anatomy and physiology again (pertaining to the feet mostly). I am learning a trade.

Besides, what else am I going to do during the day? Laundry? Cleaning? Organizing? No thanks. I'm done with that (okay, I'm done with that until the weekend arrives).

6 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

I'm so curious which dr you're talking about! You'll have to send me a message privately and let me know his name.....although I think I know who it is:) I'm so glad you're enjoying going back to work. I know how hard it is at times to work outside the home and then come home to mountain of laundry and dirty dishes. After about 8 year, I finally have Prince Charming trained to do these things....LOL!

TheLab said...

I love these posts, E. Thank you thank you! I do hate my day job (and Brett is doing everything he an to eliminate it as soon as possible, seriously), but my part-time serving job is a blast. Just like you mentioned, the people you meet, the stories you hear, the interaction is amusing even when it's stressful. I love that job!

emily said...

I'm sorry you're at a job that you hate Leslie - I hope it works out for you to end it, SOON! I'll be praying for that.

And Wuxi, once I find your email address, I'll send you the info!

Knocker Boys said...

I also am very curious. Do you work on Market Street?

I'm glad you like your job. On days that you don't like your job, you'll have to remember that you said that you like your job.

emily said...

Your right knocker mom, so far I've not had a TOTALLY awful day - although Wednesday came pretty close. And yes, I work on Market Street. This guy knows everybody!

Flamingo said...

i too celebrate you liking your job! i have no desire to get a job and enjoy my mountains of laundry:)
seriously though, what a HUUUUGE blessing to be loving what you are doing. I hated so many of my pre-children jobs that i actually bordered on depression. it stinks to have to go somewhere everday that you DREAD. i know a lot of people feel like that though from being at home:)