Sunday, January 3, 2010

Little Miss

Ahhhhh, isn't she so cute? I get to write about Little Miss now! It's her birthday month. Little Miss, our funny little girl!

I gave Hubby a positive pregnancy test for our 3 year anniversary. It was in the 18th week, during the ultrasound appointment, that we found out this little one was a girl. Now, I told myself that I didn't care what the sex of the baby was. If he/she ended up being a boy, I'd be very excited - EE would have a forever best friend, just like my two older brothers. I never realized how much I wanted a girl until they told me I was having one and I had to hide the weeping! I couldn't believe we were going to have a little girl!

Why did I have an ultrasound at 18 weeks? The doctor found some kind of blood spot in between the wall of my uterus and placenta during my first ultrasound appointment sometime around 12 wks. He told me that in most cases, this fluid would be re-absorbed into my system and nothing would come of it. Of course, I asked what would happen if this wasn't a normal case. He told me that I could possibly lose the baby.

So what did I do with that information while I waited for my next ultrasound appointment? Did I worry myself to pieces since the last pregnancy ended in a miscarriage? Sometimes. But mostly I just pushed the worst-case scenario aside. I tried to forget about. And being a mommy to Hurricane EE distracted me nicely.

The fluid re-absorbed.



I got to have another ultrasound sometime around 37 weeks due to my small belly circumference. We found out that the little thing was only in the 12th percentile and that I'd have to come back for another ultrasound at 39 weeks. And if they didn't like what they saw they'd induce me.

How did I feel during those two weeks while we waited? I worried I was starving my daughter. Was two weeks too long to wait? But, again, I pushed those thoughts aside as much as possible.

I never made it to that ultrasound appointment. Little Miss was born that day. 5 pounds, 12 ounces, 18 1/4 inches long. My little peanut. Such a sweet thing! I went in around 9pm the previous night and waited a whole shift, till morning, through very uncomfortable, unproductive contractions. I was induced once the morning shift came in. After 5 centimeters (I made it to 5 this time!), I requested an epidural. I love those things. It didn't take very long after that.

I absolutely loved my hospital stay - I loved getting to know my little girl, I loved our times alone together. Everything was so much easier the 2nd time around. She was a pro at nursing right from the start! And my pain was so much less.

We're still trying to figure out Little Miss. I can't write that she loves a particular sport. I can't write that she loves the academics. I can't write that she loves her rabbit. What I can write is a bit disturbing. She loves to know the intricacies of the human body, particularly when it is hurt or is sick. She peppered me with questions one late night trip to the pediatrician's. What is her infection? What is happening inside her body? How did she get it? What is the doctor going to do to get rid of it? How does that medicine work? How long will it take to work? She is very interested in anatomy and physiology. She has very detailed dreams which she can only recant the next morning. Those too can be disturbing. (you don't think taking a drill to EE's brain isn't disturbing?) But on the more normal side, she loves to color. She colors every square inch of the paper, always has. She make Hubby and I hundreds of pictures of which I have no idea what to do with except secretly trash most of them when she isn't looking. She also loves animal. Apparently she has a cute and cuddly side. She particularly loves baby animals.

Little Miss loves to snuggle. I used to carry her all around all the time when she was a baby. It was commented to me that perhaps I held her too much. But I couldn't help it! I loved to hold her! She still needs her snuggle time.

Little Miss will turn 7 years old this month. I can hardly believe it. For those of you who know Little Miss' name, let me tell you why we chose it. First of all, there were very few names Hubby and I could agree on. In my opinion, her name is a very joyous name, a hopeful name. It means birth, or birthday. I couldn't wait for this 3rd baby to have a birthday. And Little Miss lives up to her name. She is a joyous girl. She loves to laugh and have fun. She thinks everything and anybody was ment to entertain her. She typically has a twinkle in her eye. She can be very bashful, just like her big brother, but at home she is a teaser, a pickster, and she loves to laugh.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

TheLab said...

Oh my gosh, I soooo loved this post! I LOVE hearing birth stories and pregnancy stories, and then hearing all the things a mom says about their little one... just awesome. And, as usual, you made me cry!

BEAUTIFUL! Just like Little Miss!