Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dreaming Of Camping

It's around this time of year that I really start to miss the camping season. Winter now looses whatever ounce of appeal it started out with way back in November (sshhhh! I know.). It doesn't matter what the groundhog predicts, winter will last through March. And then we have to endure month long periods of wind and rain. Finally, in May, we can enjoy the consistent warmth of better months.

Aahhhhhh, May. It's so freakin' far away.

In our desperation for the camping season to begin, we traveled over to Hanover today to tour through some camping trailer's - just for fun. And wouldn't you know it - a blizzard blew through the closer we got to the dealership! My toes were freezing - my kneecaps shook - we drug snow in with us as we toured the trailer's! Camping season seems light years away. But we booked our annual Memorial Weekend Camping Trip already. You have to book those sites now, in January, because many campgrounds get full early on - and this year we need around 8 campsites together.

Yes, the groundhog will soon be pulled from it's whatever. What does it come out of? A log? A hole in the ground? A groundhog house? I heard the PETA people want the groundhog replaced with a robotic groundhog. This might not be a bad idea. We could program it to predict the end of winter sooner. Maybe God will listen better to a robotic groundhog.

Three things are guaranteed: winter won't end tonight, we will not be getting a travel trailer, and smorgasborg restaurants are wasted on a girl like me.

4 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

I'm right there with you! When I got up at the wee hours of the morning today to go to work, it was pure torture to see that it was only 17 degrees outside! I'm sooo ready for May, too:) The only reason I like winter right now is that it gives me time to lose this spare tire so that I can bare a little more when it finally warms up.

TheLab said...

You know what's the most sad? How smorgasborgs are wasted on you. So sad. I would have destroyed that place. They would have had to work around the clock to prepare enough food for the next day. Mmmmmmmm food.

Anyway, I think it's so cool you guys do the family camping thing. I can't wait to not have a dog anymore, because then our postage stamp townhouse back-yard can have a tent placed in it without dog crap being underneath, and the boys and I can sleep outside. Brett hates the idea of camping because he says growing up in a dilapidated old farm house in the mountains was like camping every day for 20 years. He's done. Which I totally understand.

So, tents and backyards for the boys and I! And I'm excited!

Just need to convince you to take our one remaining dog when yours dies.

emily said...

I can understand Brett not wanting to go camping - I guess I wouldn't either if I were in his shoes! And maybe you could set up a small tent in the living room one night?

emily said...

Maybe you should bare a little more NOW Wuxi, shivering would count as exercise - right?