Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Emergent Church

I don't have a whole lot of time to write on this today or even at this moment (Little Miss wants to play webkinz), and in fact I am still doing research on the emergent/emerging church. It is a somewhat controversial movement within the christain church. But I will say that I believe there is a lot of good involved in this movement & I have personally grown much closer to the Lord through it's encouragement of different spiritual practices. However, a big part of it's criticism is the thought that the emergent church questions biblical beliefs. So, when something questions biblical truth, I question that something. It's going to take me some time because I am not a theologian, I'm definitely held back by my limited intelligence. But once I know more, I'll write more. There are many really good thoughts that this emergent church is teaching. And even within this movement there are different branches - it's a fairly broad term I'm learning. And my church has embraced some of the emergent church's viewpoints, unbeknownst to us because the leaders don't use this term. I don't believe you can throw out the whole loaf of bread if only one piece has mold on it - you know? Oh, now I'm rambling and scaring my parents. I better let Little Miss play her webkinz!

Maybe I shouldn't write on something so controversial. Maybe I shouldn't have said our church embraces some of the emergent church's viewpoints - perhaps my church's viewpoints are independent of this influence. I don't know. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings or make anybody mad! But if this movement is growing and impacting our spiritual and church lives, then we probably should know something about it. What do you guys know about this?

2 comments:

Flamingo said...

i never heard of the emergent church...perhaps i am a nerd, naive...i don't know.

i had no idea our church would be part of the emergent church...

i'm guessing the RE thing would be an emergent church thing?

i don't think it is bad to question and re-explore spiritual practices, but question biblical beliefs i'm VERy skeptical on....i don't think our church has strayed from that yet. i believe doubting biblical beliefs is more of theological liberalism.

i'm very intersted in this now...if i'm part of an emergent church i want to know! i want to make sure that i'm still on board:)

emily said...

I'm not saying our church is part of that movement! But I do think that our church has incorperated some of the same spiritual practices as the emergent church. And I agree, our church is well grounded in the bible.

I'm going to talk about this topic with my dad tomorrow and then I think I'll be writing a post on it soon after.