Thursday, August 5, 2010

What's Your Reaction?

Reacting to Anne Rice.

The above is a link to Jon Acuff's post on Anne Rice's statesments about being (or not being) called a christain and belonging to the group. I found it very interesting - especially the comments. Thought I'd pass it on to you and maybe get your reaction to it. This kind of goes along with my last post. I really need to write more on that someday:)

3 comments:

Kirsten's Cooking said...

I have such mixed emotions on this one. I despise the "perfect" on the surface Christians. It just makes me want to be rebellious. If Ms. Rice has somehow been rejected by this group, I understand her lashing out at the Christian label. I am firmly of the opinion that many of the churches today are filled with Pharisees.

My only concern is that certain movements within the Christian church are more concerned with social justice than they are with growing mature believers and followers of Christ. We are to believe in and subscribe to Truth, not to whatever happens to be popular and whatever happens to be tolerant.

I have a feeling that Ms. Rice is struggling with her political views and how they fit (or don't) within the Church.

emily said...

Her statements make me want to know what her experience has been. It makes me sad to think that she has not had the experience that God intends for her to have with being part of the Church. For most of my life, the Church has been my 2nd family. There is a feeling of "homeness" that occurs no matter where I am when I'm in the presence of a true believer (not on every occasion though). And I believe that when we get to heaven, although we won't "know" most of the people there, it will be like we've known them all our lives - because we're coming home. And so if Rice can't experience some of that here and now within the Christain community, either she's mixing with the wrong group of people or she's being a bit too judgemental. I hope she doesn't give up on us too easily.

emily said...

Oh, and I totally get what you wrote about rebelling against "perfect" christains. I want to smack some sense into them sometimes.