Tuesday, June 29, 2010

There Is A Season - Part 2



(read this post only after you read the 1st)



This past Sunday my parents were commissioned as missionaries to Viet Nam. Their job is to raise awareness of the need to bring the gospel to this unreached people group and funds to the full-time missionaries who have just settled there. They will take short-term trips to Viet Nam as well. Their heart is with the Viet Nam people, as well as the outcasted Cambodian people living in Viet Nam.

Now that I am an adult with a family of my own, I have a different perspective on my growing up years. I can better understand the different seasons that we go through during our life - the growth that God instigates. I am learning that God creates inside each of us different passions, passions that he wants to use for his glory and purpose. I have to admit, there were times during my life that I was angry and jealous of "the ministry" because it took so much attention away from me. But just look at my parents now - I can't help but admit that God has them where he wants them, just as he's always had them where he wants them.



As I listened to my first pastor talk about my parents during their commission service, I thought about Indiana, Vermont, and the years here in York, all the places that my parents were heavily involved in the ministry. I thought about how God created a passion inside my parents, how my mom supported my dad, and the courage they had in following Him.







They've been through a lot in the years since they've been married - 36+ years ago. I am so proud of them. I have always been so proud of them. They've been an inspiration in following the passion God's created inside of them, no matter what the obstacles are and the outcome is.









Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

So, I Begin this Journey...... said...

Beautiful......simply beautiful.

TheLab said...

Oh wow. I love the part about your mom supporting your dad in all things. What a testimony. What a great example to you and your brothers - but especially you, since you're a wife.

I learn from women like that - thank you for telling a bit of their story. It inspires me.

And you look like your Dad.

emily said...

Thank you so much for saying that I look like my dad Leslie! For so long, I've often wondered why I didn't look like anyone in my family! I'm starting to see a few glimpes of them in me - here and there.