We had a great time - it was so nice to get away! We managed to navigate the metro without too much difficulty (the king street metro was just across the street from our hotel), the rain held off for the most part, and we walked thousands of miles without lasting injuries (except I will definitely need to make an appointment with a podiatrist - hmmm, where could I go for that?).
We only had one day to visit the museums and monuments so we stayed right around the Mall. We visited the Air and Space museum first. I felt completely stupid in this particular museum - I couldn't even understand the information in the kid's section. We walked next to the Natural History museum. This was more on my level. I was encouraged to touch things - like rocks and minerals. I loved the gems and mineral wing the best. We saw the Hope diamond and royal jewels from people of long ago. We also visited the American History museum where I got to see Michelle Obama's white gown and the other first lady presidential gowns - they were stunning!
When we arrived at our hotel on Friday, we didn't waste much time exploring King street in Alexandria and the George Washington Mason Memorial. We were charging our camera battery at the time, so I have no pictures of King street or the memorial. We took a guided tour of this beautiful, huge memorial. And then walked down King street to the Potomac River.
I enjoyed the architecture of the buildings, the doors, the stair railings, the trees, snack signs, and jiffy jons more so than the information in the museums. Washington D.C. was crowded and it was hard to read all the information (if I cared to) in the museums. Too many people pushing through. I became quite claustrophobic in the evolution of mankind wing and had to exit pronto. The metro swung a little too much for my comfort - and I didn't like the decent into the earth's dark depths. I loved all the dogs I saw in Alexandria, walking their owners. And there were many brave joggers (I once nearly got run over by one - but I dove to the side before he barrelled into me). We think we saw Marine One fly over twice while in D.C., and there was a police motorcade procession that drove by as well. The U.S. coastguard helicopter was kept busy too. We heard a marching band, garbage can drummer, and big band music while on our thousand mile trek.
Our hotel was probably the most nicest one we ever stayed in, despite the constant high pitch ringing in the room and the train horn that blew each night around 12. I brought my Jane Eyre book to read and also a bottle of white wine. According to my estimations, I have enough wine left for two more nights. Maybe 3. Depends how stressed I'll be.
Yes, we decided to not wait another 6 years for our next outing. Maybe we should try getting out once a year?
6 comments:
Little City Girl is happy to hear that you enjoyed your DC trip! Loved your photos.
Aawww, thanks Lisa!
I think you should definitely try to sneak away at least once a year! I'm so glad you had a great time with your hubby and I hope it was a time of refreshment and fun! (sure looked like it :)
It was! Thanks Kirsten!
I like your pictures. Very creative.
I'm so glad you and Jason had the chance to go away!! How did you survive that long without a little getaway?! We try to go once a year, sometimes just for a nite, sometimes for a weekend. I would LOVE if we could go more, but we would have to stay in a tent I'm afraid:) Your pictures are wonderful, too! I was impressed that you picked such a historical place to visit. I always pick a place close to all the shopping!
Post a Comment