Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Oh Baby It's A New Day

*theme song to this post is from the Robby Seay Band called New Day

I guess I'm not like most moms, I don't cry when my kids go back to school. I don't wish for a longer summer. I actually get all giddy & happy when school time comes 'round. I find sanity in schedule and routine. I find sanity in a quiet house. I love cleaning when it doesn't get messed up the moment I move on to something else. Yes, this time of year holds promise and hope. And so I love it. And I don't cry, and I count down the days till it's here.

But part of my heart did rip out of my chest and travel with the kids this morning. I worried over their first day in a new school building. I'm concerned Little Miss will be scared and lonely because she doesn't know anybody in her class and she is not outgoing to say the least. And we forgot to pray together this morning.


But today's a new day. I will get back into the habit of my morning quiet times with the Lord. Of Chuck Swindol at 9:30, (making sure to avoid James Dobson at 9:00) . I sure did miss Chuck this summer! He really knows what I need to hear. Do you think that Jesus is like Chuck? I'd like to think so. The Jesus I conjure up in my head sure does need to be a lot more like Chuck.

And I love the cool temperature! I can't wait for the leaves to turn colors and to decorate with pumpkins and mums and scarecrows and drink hot apple cider! This evening is Hurricane's first flag football practice! I can't wait for football games! This is probably my favorite time year. At least at this time of year it's my favorite time year. Because I've had enough of hot weather and I need a change. Plus, my birthday is coming up and I can't wait to get presents.

It's a new day. I say, bring it on. I need a new day.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

TheLab said...

When's your birthday? Mine's Oct 15, always loved that time of year. Anyway, please do tell us more about avoiding James Dobson, must know ;) (There are certain Christian radio broadcasts I avoid, too, for various reasons).

I hope Little Miss had a wonderful day. I was painfully shy at her age and it was really hard. I hope she met some wonderful girls.

TheLab said...

Oh, and meant to say I adore Chuck Swindol also. Charles Stanley is my main buddy, though. He's the one that speaks to me most (with Chuck following closely). He's at 8:30 on my station. I call him my grandpa. I hope he doesn't read your blog, or I'll have security called on me.

emily said...

I used to get Chuck and Charles names mixed up! I've never heard Charles Stanley on the radio though.

And in about 20 minutes or less I'll be talking with the kiddos - I can't wait!

There's just something about James Dobson that gets under my skin. I think part of it is is that he feels that his viewpoint is so RIGHT. That's part of it. Perhaps this could be a post, but I'm not sure I want to step on any bees nests at this point!

emily said...

Oh, and my birthday is one day before yours! I'll be thinking of you on the 15th!

TheLab said...

VERY INTERESTING on Dobson. We'll keep our comments light, but my husband has very similar thoughts, more specific actually. Though we LOVE his books on child-rearing and know he loves the Lord and is doing GOOD work for the kingdom, my husband can't listen to his show, either. He says that even during simple interviews, JD will interject stories from his own life. He thinks maybe he's getting slightly senile at times, because someone will be telling a very serious story, and JD will start talking about his own story, his own Dad, his own children. Totally weird. So when you mentioned not being able to listen to him on the radio I totally perked up, because neither can my husband.

OK, enough on that. Because in reality, since he is doing work for the kingdom, it's so important not to divide ourselves, and give unbelievers the idea that we are fractured. The main and plain things we agree on. That's most important in the end.

OCTOBER 14!?!??!!? AWESOME!!!

emily said...

Good & true comment Leslie - I must keep that in mind!

Wuxi Mommy said...

I need to hang out with you and learn how not to use up three tissue boxes on the 1st day of school! I think I'm worse than the kids when it comes to worrying:) I have to say that I do LOVE this cool weather, and the peace and quiet in the house this morning is a wonderful change. But I still miss my kiddos so much that I can't seem to focus on Chuck or James or any other man, for that matter!

Knocker Boys said...

I don't cry either. I push them out of the car. "Everyone is waiting. So HURRY up!" :) And then I drive away and think "maybe I should have said good-bye or have a nice day???" Oh well.

emily said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who shoves their kids out the door!

Flamingo said...

wow! i didn't know that people didn't like dobson! i love dobson. i wish he was my grandpa. he just seems to have a true heart for the lord and for families. i think he believes HIS beliefs are right because if he was on the air wishy washy what kind of ministry would that be? it would be one of modern christianity where there is no black and white. i don't listen to the political shows...but i love his shows on family and life. perhaps it's just me:) i do like chuck or charles or whatever his name his.

Flamingo said...

perhaps you don't agree with his belief that children are a blessing from the lord. haha ...you know I'm just TOTALLY joking:)

emily said...

I know he has a heart for the Lord (Dobson) and somebody needs to be a political watchdog for our beliefs. I guess when it comes to legistlating morality I get bent out of shape when that is more the focus than on changing people's heart on a person by person & community level. Everyone has their gifts and passion given by the Lord. I need to appreciate his more I guess. I'm in an interesting time in my Christain walk (forget all that grieving stuff). I'm figuring out where my passion and gifts are and what strengths and pitfalls those produce.

emily said...

And sometimes I think that children being blessings is an over rated statement! SO THERE! (I stomp my feet) Now I've just proven what a bad libral christain I am! Do you think they'll like me at Mom to Mom?

Flamingo said...

you always make me laught girl because you are so honest:) and yes, there are days i question the blessing too:) right now they are quite the blessing though because they are outside playing.

i'm glad you replied back to my dobson thing. i started getting paranoid that i went over the line and you thought i was a lobbyist for dobson or something. i completely understand where you are coming from..that is why i don't listen to the political/legistlative shows. they quite frankly get on my nerves sometimes.

interesting that you are trying to figure out your gifts and what strengths and weaknesses that gives you. i've been thining about that lately too...mostly because i'm realizin all of my weaknesses:)

emily said...

I think the weaknesses are a clue to your strengths - I know that sounds so fru fru. But really, I'm beginning to be convinced of this. Part of the reason is because Satan needs to undermine our strengths.

And I was paranoid about my reply. So I'm glad YOU replied back! I like when Dobson has authors on his show. There. I wrote something positive.