Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stationary Always Puts Me In A Good Mood


I have dreamed of owning a really cool, somewhat retro custom stationary store. Going to Target and shopping for crayola markers, 50 cent composition books, chore charts, and a big world map will have to do in this stage of life. But you know what? It still makes me happy! When I was a teenager my little brother bought me a box of pretty stationary and purple scissors for Christmas - one of the best presents I've ever received. I ran out of the paper a few years back (although I saved it only for special occasions), but I still have my purple scissors which me and the kids use everyday. Needless to say they are getting very dull and I really should replace them (the scissors - not the kids!). But I'm a sentimentalist. And I'm cheap - okay, not that cheap.

If I could own a trendy little shop, I'd not only have retro funky stationary and cool classic stationary, but I'd have pens of every shape and size - pens that writers would use, pens that artists would use. I'd have fabrics and quilts, pottery, bath and body stuff (luxurious, not too expensive, hard to find stuff), and books - lots of books. Antique books, new books, blank books, journals. My friend, Minista Sista who is also known as Stylin' Sista, and I, dream about owning this shop together. All the things we'd have in the shop would be things that we love, things that you can't find anywhere else, things that local, unknown artisans & crafters have made, antiques that we'd find at estate sales or flea markets. Perhaps, in some corner of the room, next to the front bay window, we'd have coffee and bakery items with a couple round tables. It would be an eclectic kind of little shop. You'd have to be looking for it to find it, but it's reputation would be wide spread which would keep it in business.

If I can't travel the world and write, if I can't own a trendy, eclectic little shop, then when I'm in need of a little pick-me-up, I'll buy me some stationary. Or spend an hour or two in my favorite little shop - Hearts and Minds bookstore in the next town over.

What little things make you happy? And what dreams do you dream about?

9 comments:

TheLab said...

Well, now I dream about being the counter person at your stationary (and bath and body and art pens) store!

TheLab said...

... and I STILL have Snoopy stationary from when I was about 8 years-old. I (obviously) use it very sparingly. Some of my best gifts were stationary and letter-writing related. Pencils with my name engraved, art sets, make-your-own painted stationary (all thanks to Grandma and Uncle). Great post!

emily said...

Oh, Snoopy is my favorite dog cartoon character - all the other dogs are either annoying or boring!

Great! I have a frontman for this dream - your beauty will draw them in!

Dawn said...

I personally dream of being a drummer in a cool Christian rock band!!! : )
P.S. I really want you to have flavored coffees at your store too so I can hang out and read while I sip yummy coffee!

emily said...

Oh, flavored coffees are a given. And could I be lead singer in your christain rock band and song writer?

Dawn said...

DEFINITELY!!!!

Dawn said...

DEFINITELY!!!!

Flamingo said...

what makes me happy? reading your thoughts emily:)

i'm so at your store too. can i work super flexible hours with professional pay?

emily said...

I could use your visionary gifts Flamingo - but I don't know about professional pay.