Monday, March 16, 2009

Grunts, Groans, & Shruggings


This is how I pray now.

Ever since I read 1/2 of Philip Yancey's book on prayer I've not been able to get a clear thought through to the Holy Spirit! Thank goodness He interprets pretty well. I use His services a lot. I find that I pray at the most humiliating times. What must the angels think of me? My bathtub has become an alter - my toilet, my wailing wall. My window is my leaning post - most of the smudges come from my greasy forehead and not from the kids fingers.

I like this though, this new way of talking to Him. I'm beginning to realize that I don't know what I want & I don't know what He wants - so I don't know what to pray. Sometimes I don't talk. Or groan. Or grunt. Or shrug. I do those things when I pray for people.

So I guess maybe you wouldn't want me to pray for you. Because there is NO guarantee how the Holy Spirit is going to interpret them.

2 comments:

marion said...

Me too. It's so much simpler this way. (But I didn't read 1/2 of Yancey's book.) :)

emily said...

I recommend the 1/2 that I read, although it was a bit depressing to me - thus the reason for my unfaithfulness. Yancey wrote like he was writing while investigating, which I liked. He included letters he received from people about their stories and prayer, and that depressed me. And he didn't have any real answers for me. I guess maybe at the end he does. Or not. But I like answers. I don't like a circling of my own thoughts without having some kind of resolution - I thought maybe he could help me out on that.