I'm just going to assume you already know how much I love my kids, that I would find great satisfaction in killing anyone who tried to harm them. That cute day to day goings on do bring pleasure to my soul each day. Please keep this in mind as you read on. Because in just a bit, it's going to seem like I'm contradicting myself.
*****************************************
There was a time in my life when I did not want kids. I wanted to travel and write and support myself just enough to survive where ever I was. Maybe my type of personality would have been a better match for that kind of lifestyle. I don't know.
I don't know why some of us women are mothers and some of us aren't. Some women who have children never really asked for them. Some women try desperately for years to have a child and can't. I guess nature bears some responsibility. We were built to have little ones - it's part of God's design. We were built with ways to prevent pregnancy as well, it's a miracle we are even able to conceive at all. And as with much of our sorrow, general sin has a role to play as well. Thanks Adam! (It really was his fault anyway!) And over everything is God's sovereignty.
I never thought motherhood would be all fun and games. Truly I didn't. I knew it would be work and sacrifice - a thankless job. But what I didn't bargain for was how much I wouldn't enjoy it. I thought that I would have made a better mom. This humbles me. I am not the mother I wish I could be - I don't even think I come close.
But God's reminding me right now - who am I comparing myself to? And I get his point. Most times I forget it though and fall into the same trap that I've fallen into for years. Comparing myself to other mothers.
There are so many good mothers out there - and I seem to be surrounded by a lot of them. They actually like being mommies. It comes naturally to them, this motherhood thing. I don't mind the mommies who are naturally good at being mommies. I'm amazed by them. I'm perplexed. I'd like to examine them under my microscope. What kind of woman is this woman who naturally succeeds at motherhood with grace, love, creativity, and discipline?
But, not too long ago, these mothers, not all of them (not my friends - don't worry friends), would piss me off. Some mothers put up a "good mommy" facade, some mothers never talk about anything but their children (when I just wanted to forget I had them). They do not show their real selves - and anybody who hides their real self to me tends to piss me off. I don't need to know their appalling life story, but I don't want glossy fake fluff either. Just give me you. (that way I can feel better about me! - kidding, kidding).
Most of the time I understand that my personality and character cannot change into this kind of "natural mother" type woman. God did not make me like that. I'm not a natural! I'm an implant! But that's God's fault and not mine - I believe that he intended I become a mother. Not because he thought I'd make a good mother, but because he thought it would make me a good woman (just ask Leslie).
I guess he knew what he was doing. And thank goodness his children are ultimately in his hands. I don't think I'll screw them up too much, I really do try to be a good mommy. And I seek his guidance. That's a good start.
I can hear you reader, I can hear you shaking your head and saying to the computer, "Emily, you're a good mother." (I'm fooling myself aren't I? You're actually nodding your head in agreement with me so far - you know me too well by now! Don't worry, I'm not hurt by your honest assessment).
It would have been much easier if I stayed single and had no children. My personality loves myself enough to keep me entertained. I love my alone time. Do you remember my strongest quality according to the 100+ question test and book "Strength Finders" by Tom Rath? It is intellection - more specifically - I am my own best friend. I think I'm like a cat. If what I understand from my cat owning friends is true, cats don't need much affection and attention. They don't need much interaction. They dictate when and how much they need. That's me.
Here it is, the honest ugly dark truth of this post. Motherhood sucks the life out of me, and my kids are the leeches. I take it as a personal assault every time they come to me in some sort of need - ten thousand times a day. I love my leeches readers, they're beautiful, fun, kind-hearted, spirited, & passionate leeches. But they're leeches just the same.
It's getting easier, a bit, (now that they're in school all day and the teacher has to put up with them). They're getting more independent. I'm trying to learn what they can do for themselves, many times I assume they need me more than they actually do. They think they need me more than they actually do because that's what I think. But they're growing up now, and they need to acquire a bit more independence. Then, at least this is my theory, they might build some needed self - confidence. And now that I'm working and hubby might have a different work schedule in a few months, the need for them to have more responsibility and independence will be greater.
I think many mothers would read this and throw a fit. How can you call your babies "leeches!" (They did gain sustenance from my body for half a year - so I'm not too far off the mark). And I'm being real my friends. I know I can't be the only woman out there who is not a natural mother, who struggles with it more than she feels successful with it. And this is for those mothers. You're not the only one who feels this way! You are loving, just like me. We love our babies dearly. I just find it hard to express that, to let myself enjoy them long enough for them to know I'm enjoying them. My Sista from another Mista always reminds me to hug and kiss my husband at the end of our hour+ phone conversations. She knows I tend to forget - just because that's not who I am. I'm not the affectionate one. Hubby is. It's somewhat easier with the kids - at least it's easier with Little Miss. Hurricane EE is just like me, we are stiff. (I'm getting better - he has a long way to go). But he just smiles and glows when I hug and kiss and tickle him!
Being a mommy has brought me to the brink of insanity. Bi-Polar is right Leslie. Except, my other sista from another mista has told me that I'd most likely suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder (read that post HERE).
I have to agree with her.

8 comments:
The Lord certainly does challenge us to be better than we start out being... Everything presents an opportunity to stretch spiritually, and therefore glorify Him more. It's all about Him. Why? Because He's holy, because HE IS GOD.
I've often had to whittle everything down to that one point - all of this is to glorify our Holy Creator. That's it. And then go from there - be a better wife, a better mom, a better employee, a better witness to the world.
I'm not being fake when I say I LOVE being a mom. But I truly, honestly, before I had kids, never wanted to be a mom. Heck, I didn't want to be a wife. Ask D. Thankfully, the Lord changed me as I dated Brett, and as soon as Steel was born. BUT I have other challenges. You're challenged to be a better person by being a mom. I'm challenged to be better by God not allowing me to be lazy. Which is what I really am inside.
You know, I really don't like that Obama HIJACKED the word Change. That word is MY word. I hate him for tainting it. I really do. Sorry, but I do. I took it personally. But that word is my word for life. The word God has given me over time, to explain my life, to explain what's supposed to be happening here on earth. We're supposed to CHANGE. (None of this is making sense! And worse, I think it's becoming another blog post. So it's time to shut up and leave your blog alone! It's YOUR BLOG!)
You're great, E.
Thanks Leslie! I love your post length comments! And as soon as I have time, I'm going to reply to your great facebook message - I PROMISE!
And thank God he has the power to change us. Only by His power.
Ha! Hilarious. That's exactly what I was talking about in my comment on your last post! Awesome... now, I don't even need to write a blog post about it. Thanks. :)
Yes, you DO need to write a blog post about it!!!! You amaze me - if for no other reason than by having the ability to stay alive! Write that post girl!
ah em. i know we've talked about this before. again...the comparison thing...which is the root of all evil and the basis of my book remember?
i love being a mom. i do. but i also hate being a mom. make sense? no. there are days that i really question why i had kids. or if i could just get rid of a couple then i would be ok:)
i can be lazy as a mom. i don't want to put the hard work in. i want them to just pick up their stuff because i told them to do it a couple of weeeks ago. i don't want to have stop doing what i'm doing and play some dumb game with them.
there are days that go by and i realize that i have spent NOOOO time with my kids. at least no, "i'm going to pay attention to you time." and when i do do it, it is a chore on my list. i don't always want to.
at the same time i will defend my motherhood status in that there are my manic times as a mom, where they make me smile and i like them and i ENJOY them.
i think a lot of people are fake. well, i shouldn't say they are fake, i think they are afraid to admit the way they are struggling or the way they feel BECAUSE of the lie, the comparison trap (goodness, this book needs to get written:)
i continue to fall into that trap over & over again, where i feel like i SUCK as a mom compared to all the wonderful moms out there.
yes, there are things i need to change about my mothering efforts BUT you know what...God designed me this way. and he KNEW what raw he was dealing with before he handed me these kids. it's my job to raise them. i think he has a lot more confidence in us then we do:)
I love this!!! You are right to be honest about your feelings. And I'm afraid you are alot more like your mother than I thought. I always thought you were more like your dad....and you do have alot of his qualities - good ones. I felt exactly like you, Emily, especially when I was your age. If I wouldn't have had Barb Crowl to call each evening after you guys all went to bed, I would have been a basket case. And I COULD NOT DRINK WINE BACK THEN!!!!! We never had any money for it, and I probably would have been an alcoholic!!! :-) - I say that now, but I smoked for the first 11 years of our marriage - so that was my stress reliever, I guess. And I was so ashamed of that as well as all those feelings you described. I always felt like a complete failure. You are right - it does keep you humble. You are a wonderful mother, so don't ever doubt yourself. We will never do everything just right. Others will look a bit "higher" in our eyes, but we all have our faults and struggles - we just don't know each other well enough to know what they all are, do we? God is our refuge and strength. It doesn't always feel like it, but HE IS - whether we acknowledge that or not. We are the better for it when we do. I love you, sweet girl. You are so special to me. And God has definitely given you a gift for writing.
P.S. And now that you are ALL (4) grown up - I have absolutely NO REGRETS as to whether or not I should have had children and how many. Maybe how I could have done better, but I can't change that, so I don't dwell on that. I'm so proud and thankful for each of you.
Thanks so much for your words mom, I didn't see them here until this evening when I scrolled down through this months posts.
Being a mom has made me look at you through different eyes, I am truely amazed that you survived us. You are a great mom - and we still need you. Remember when I stopped by just to get a hug from you? No other person would do. I needed a hug from my mother. Thank goodness we live close enough to eachother!
Post a Comment